The nation’s largest association for investigation and security services companies (NCISS) has outlined a multipart proposal for Congressional action to protect personal information.
* Data brokers should conduct thorough credentialing of new accounts and those where a review indicates that a new check is in order.
* Congress should ban Internet sales of personal identification information to the general public.
* Penalties, such as fines and jail sentences, for the misuse of personal information should be increased.
* Data providers should be required by federal law to notify consumers when their information has been accessed illegally.
* Congress should prohibit the use of Social Security Numbers on identification documents such as healthcare insurance cards, drivers’ licenses and state permits.
* Investigators and other licensed professionals who can demonstrate a need for information and have submitted to a background investigation should have
continued access to personal data.