The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) database is active now in 27 states. Check automobile titling information, including some historical theft data. This U.S. Department of Justice project was initiated to curb title fraud and the sale of junk cars.
NMVTIS provides consumers and others with vehicle information such as:
* Current and previous state of title.
* Title issue date.
* Most recent odometer reading.
* Any brand(s) applied to the vehicle.
* Date the brands were applied.
* Any auto recycler or junk or salvage yard history for the vehicle.
* Any insurance company salvage determination (including “total loss”) history for the vehicle.
How does this data compare to a CARFAX search?